Your business can’t run on money alone. Like it or not, the time has to be invested in creating a business network by fostering relationships; whether it’s your time or hiring someone else’s, somebody has to get out there and represent your company at all the fabulous events that occur each week in Las Vegas. Here, we present some of our tips for summer business mixers.
You CAN Do it
Business networking isn’t for the shy and antisocial types, but, that doesn’t mean you have to be an extroverted social butterfly to reap the rewards. For all the introverts out there, fake it until you make it and use the following tips to make networking fun and successful.
- Be Your Authentic Self – Most people can sniff out phonies. Faking it ’til you make it doesn’t mean to put on an act and become someone else. Fake your confidence, but let your real personality shine. Networking is about building trust with leads and business peers, which can only happen through making genuine connections.
- Set Goals in Advance – Before attending any business related events, figure out what your purpose is. Are you there to meet business peers to collaborate with? Is it to meet potential leads to market to? or perhaps you just want to gain inspiration for your next business project? Create efficient business networking strategies that will help you fulfill the goal you are trying to achieve. In the words of Les Brown, “It’s better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one, than to have an opportunity and not to be prepared.”
- Pose Open-Ended Questions & Smile – Asking questions that only require either a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ does not help to open up the discussion and sustain interest. Plus, don’t forget to smile, a friendly face is approachable and a smile displays that you’re interested in the conversations your holding.
- Never Pitch Right Away – Simply put, it’s tacky! It gives off the impression that you’re only there for your company and not for the sake of establishing genuine relationships. Remember you’re there to build connections, so, only pitch when it’s absolutely necessary and relevant to the conversation.
- Paint the Town Red – Attend as many business mixers and networking events as your schedule allows because practice makes perfect. It will make you more confident and networking will become second nature.
Summer Fun….at Mixers
For some industries, the summer season tends to slow operations down, which is why it’s a perfect opportunity to use that extra time to network. Beat the heat by attending a business ‘Meet and Greet’. Oh, and don’t ever forget to have fun while doing it! Who knows what connections you will make and how it may change your whole business. These events can be a lot of fun and besides, at many, there is even free food and drink. What better way to market you and your business?